Friday, February 06, 2009

The Trees of Lorenzi Park






When my writing group moved from the Northwest Senior Center to Derfelt in Lorenzi Park, I noticed two things about our new home in historic Lorenzi: the trees and the construction. The large, old trees are rare finds in Las Vegas. People fish from the shore of a large pond and ducks beg for handouts. This area was purchased in 1911 by David Lorenzi and later developed into a resort; its waters originally came from a natural spring, although I'm not sure if that's true today. Despite its historic status, Lorenzi Park has been subjected to a lot of redevelopment recently. Many of the mature trees were destroyed to make way for tennis courts, although it looks like an effort was made to save some trees around the playground. I was appalled to find neon pink blazes all over the trees in the senior center’s courtyard, right outside the room where my group meets. According to my sources, no one will say exactly what the blazes are for, only that “desert landscaping” is being planned. Almost every tree in these pictures is marked for whatever it is they have in mind. I suspect it has something to do with a chain saw.
_________________
Photo information: My pictures at Lorenzi Park, taken on Wednesday, February 4, 2009.

No comments: