Thursday, April 01, 2010

The Vegas Girl & Bingo

I played my very first game of bingo a couple of nights ago. There I was with my dauber and a nifty little computer screen, and boy, was I lost. The bingo room ladies probably talked about me later because I was so clueless. I had no idea there was more than one way to make bingo--six packs and nine packs, along with other configurations. I was on one of the last three games before I got all that figured out. And who knew there would be an entire sheet of "cards" for me to frantically scan, searching for B Whatever That Number Was? When I got home, my husband asked me, "Did you win?"

"No. At least I don't think so. I might have had a bingo, but I was too confused to be sure," I told him.

I don't gamble much, but I felt certain I could grasp bingo. Turns out keeping up with those alphanumerics is tougher than I thought. I was almost embarrassed. Me, a Las Vegas native and the daughter of a serious gambler, confused by bingo? Scandalous. I can live without understanding doubling down in 21, and I've never had a desire to learn Texas hold 'em, but... bingo? After putting big blue blots all over my cards, but never in the pattern necessary to shout out that magic word, I consoled myself with a few nickels in the poker machine, and went home. Who knew bingo had a learning curve?
_____________
Photo courtesy of sarae: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarae/ / CC BY-ND 2.0

No comments: