Saturday, September 03, 2016

The Unsolved Murder of Stephanie Isaacson

UPDATE: In July 2021, Stephanie's case was solved. You can read more about the case at the DNASolves Crime site & I just posted a new post about the case. 

 

In 2007, 
I originally wrote about the troubling and tragic death of 14-year-old Stephanie Isaacson in 1989. Out of my 22 years with Metro, ten of them were at the front desk of the Crime Lab, and this unsolved case remains one I cannot forget.


On June, 1, 1989, Stephanie Isaacson left her house at about 6:30 a.m. to walk to Eldorado High School. She cut through a vacant desert lot at Stewart Avenue and Linn Lane on her way, which was her usual route. Her shortcut was not a good idea that day.

When Stephanie didn't come home that afternoon, her father started looking for her and soon found out she had never arrived at school. A search turned up her body in that desert lot. She had been sexually assaulted and strangled.

Terrible crimes occur every day. I know this because I read the reports and saw the photographs of pretty much every homicide committed in Metro's jurisdiction between 1984 and 1994.

At the time Stephanie was killed, my nieces were close to her age and lived only a couple of miles away from where she was found. The tragic and senseless nature of this crime felt very close to home, because it was.

A young girl being violently murdered while walking to school is deeply disturbing. And in this case, that brutal crime went unsolved and unpunished.

I wrote to the Cold Case unit to ask if there were any updates to the case. I didn't expect to hear a surprising new development, but I had a sliver of hope that there would be something that had changed. A person of interest. Some new development that hadn't received much press.

Sadly, the reply from the cold case investigator was very short: “We've nothing to update... sorry.”

Periodically, I receive comments on the post from people who knew Stephanie, most recently on August 12, on what would have been her birthday. Stephanie's mother wrote:

Today we would be celebrating Stephanie's birthday if she were still with us. I am her Mother and I can tell you that "time does not heal all wounds." This tragedy will always be an open wound for her family and friends. I miss her every day. I wish the low life who stole her from us could be brought to justice. I still believe there is someone out there who knows who did this. I just wish they would have the decency to come forward and tell who committed this horrible crime, but I don't believe it will ever be solved. I love you Stephanie. 


Did you live in Las Vegas in 1989 in the area of Stewart Avenue and Linn Lane? If you know anything about this case, it is not too late to speak up. You can contact the anonymous tipline at Metro or contact Metro's Cold Case Unit.

______________ 


Note: In August 2016, Vegas Girl celebrated its 10th anniversary. This post is a part of three-part series revisiting some of Vegas Girl's most notable stories.

Photo by Terrisa Meeks

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Steph!! I love and miss you everyday...
Tara

Foreverhja said...

This year we celebrated our 25 year reunion for the class of 1992. I was one of Stephanie's friends. We were in choir together. Every now and then I look her up to see if there's been a break in the case. I'm grateful today, to see that someone is still looking.

Greg Welsh said...

Stephanie babysat me and my siblings when we were little. We lived in an apartment complex near where she was found. I would have been nearly 5. I don't actually remember when it happened, but I know I heard the story when I was still very young and it always stuck with me.
She popped back into my head recently and asked my family about it. They gave me enough info to find her online and this post. I was really hoping to find out they caught whoever did it. I didn't really know her, but I'll never forget her.

Unknown said...

I went to school with her and lived around the corner from where this all happened. I remember the police and ambulance that was there. And then to only find out it was Stephanie who I had a class with. I always check periodically to see if there has been any updates on her case. Such a sad story.

Luca’ said...

Thank you my Metro family for finding out who did this! I just found out today!! Stephanie touched so many hearts in her so few years on this earth.

TH Meeks said...

Luca, I'm not finding anything about Stephanie's murder being solved.... do you have a link? I would love to find out this case was solved. Her family & friends deserve peace. From all the comments I've received, I know she was deeply loved by many.

Luca’ said...

I have tried to post quite a few times but am having difficulties. Metro was still in process of speaking with one of the parents, so it may be a few days before it’s public. I could not find a direct contact for you, and I don’t think I should post publicly the information that I do have. Keep an eye out for information! So happy the case was solved, I would have liked to see personally justice being served.

TH Meeks said...

Luca, sorry about that - I have to moderate the comments & sometimes the process is wonky. I agree, from what I've recently learned it's best to hold off with details until more is known. I am so happy to know we're close to having more info & knowing who did this. Stephanie's family & friends deserve peace.

Unknown said...

This is her aunt and they found out who it was. He killed him self in 1995

Everett said...

https://www.ktnv.com/news/crime/murder-of-el-dorado-high-school-student-solved-32-years-later

Anonymous said...

I worked with her mom. I've thought about this nearly every day. I'm glad they matched the DNA but sorry for the family. Such a sad tragic story.