Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

I’m grateful for many things today – and if you’re living in the United States, you, too, probably have a long list of things to give thanks for: running water, democracy, etc. Personally, though, the thing for which I’m most thankful this Thanksgiving is that my sister-in-law, Sandy, is cooking today, which means I don’t have to. Yippee! Other things this Vegas Girl is grateful for:

…The combination daily newspaper – The Las Vegas Review Journal/Sun. Only other newspaper watchers understand how wonderful it is that these two editorially opposite newspapers operate on a shared printing agreement that saved Las Vegas from being a uni-paper city.

…A home not in foreclosure. With every new housing-meltdown article I read, I thank God and all the angels that we purchased our home when the price was reasonable, that we understood the difference between fixed rate and voodoo rates, and that we didn’t treat our equity-rich home as an ATM.

…Wonderful family and friends living here who disprove all that garbage you read about what rotten people live in Las Vegas.

…That I’ve been privileged to have a life filled with interesting people, many of whom also had interesting names: Pear Shape, Stormin’ Norman, and Dolly Doyle, to name a few.

…Being a native Las Vegan. My city may be gaudy and corrupt and tasteless, but it’s also beautiful, eccentric, and fascinating. That's why I remain a Vegas Girl.

No comments: