Tuesday, October 05, 2021

Memories of the Mt. Charleston Lodge

When I found out on September 17 that the Mt. Charleston Lodge had burned down, I almost cried. Judging from the reaction on social media, I was not alone. Two weeks later, it's still hard to think about the fact it's gone. 
Entrance to the Mt. Charleston Lodge, 2019

Some of my earliest memories are at the Mt. Charleston Lodge. I clearly remember looking at the snow outside of a window in the dining room, where my parents and I were having a meal. I was in grade school, maybe even kindergarten.

Over the years, I spent many a happy afternoon there enjoying a drink, a burger, and the view.

I was even married there, with a ceremony on the outside patio and the Dummkopfs playing inside (the band wasn’t our choice, but it was certainly memorable).

The owners have vowed to rebuild the Lodge and I sincerely hope that happens. The Lodge we all knew actually replaced the first lodge, which burned down in 1961.

My hubby and I were last at the Lodge in 2019. I recently spent some time looking at those pictures. I, of course, had no way to know these would be my last pictures of the Lodge as we knew it. Here are several photos for those who would like to remember this piece of Southern Nevada history.

Patio area at the Lodge with the cabins in the background

This fireplace warmed up generations of visitors

Who needs TV with a view like this? 

The cozy interior at the Mt. Charleston Lodge

Pretty sure this is the same archway we decorated for my wedding

The incredible view from the patio. The snow-covered peak is Mt. Charleston.


What are your memories of the Mt. Charleston Lodge?
_________________________

All photos by Terrisa Meeks


No comments: